Thursday 1 November 2012

Seb Lester

I was browsing through the Creative Review website and stumbled across this artist/designer/typographer.
And I like him for two reasons.

Firstly, because he connects strongly with words and their meaning as well as images.
Secondly because he said this:

"I have decided there are two kinds of art I like, really clever art and really stupid art," 
I think I completely agree with this.

As an example of (some of his) really stupid art:
"I may be wrong but I don't think anyone in history has ever been stupid enough to design a set of monumental Roman capital letters and then commission a dignified and highly skilled craftsman to carve rude words into the finest Welsh slate using them."

Massive website quote:

"Trained in Graphic Design at Central Saint Martins, he now
works in Lewes in East Sussex as a type designer, illustrator and artist.

He has created typefaces and type illustrations for some
of the world's biggest companies, publications and events,
including the likes of Apple, Nike, Intel, The New York Times,
The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics and JD Salinger's final
reissue of The Catcher in the Rye."
Anyway, furthermore, moving on, meanwhile.

"And when Love speaks
 The voice of all the Gods
 Makes heaven drowsy
With the harmony." - William Skaespeare
His website has a ton of brilliant lettering and interesting quotes.

This clip shows him talking about his recent work, and gives examples of him doing calligraphy. It also explains the Shakespeare quote above.

More of his designs:
I can relate to that one.



No comments:

Post a Comment