Sunday 11 November 2012

3D Design - The Death Vine

In the 3d design week we went through a lot of observational drawing and technical drawing. 
On the first day we learnt about one and two point perspective.
So we drew trains: 
I didn't like my drawing. I wasn't allowed a ruler, I had to draw in pen, and wasn't allowed to start again. But I hadn't done one/two point perspective in ages and the drawing did refresh my memory somewhat. 
The 3D technician went a bit weird about putting in a 'background', i.e a square. He liked my square, and I still don't really know why.

When I got home, I drew another train in my sketchbook, just to reassure myself that I can draw a bit better than the days earlier attempt. I didn't use a ruler but I did use a pencil and rubber. Things got  lot more complicated on the small scale A4 sketch book:

The following task of 3D was to fight over a box of objects until we got one we liked, then draw it quite accurately from all it's different angles. I don't have a clue what my object was exactly, some kind of gyroscope, but that didn't matter - we had to make a sheet that described the object, and I think mine turned out quite well:

A couple of close-ups:

 Drawing in Biro was difficult but it made me draw more slowly (so as to not make a mistake) and ergo more neatly and carefully. I also like the tonal range a Biro had to offer.


 After that, we were given ink and little pieces of cardboard as brushes and continued to draw more of our object. It started off well (the left side of the drawing below), but I started to revert to my usual messy, impatient way of drawing. 
 These two drawings aren't bad, as whole pieces - they are quite striking. But I lost the accuracy. 
We were supposed to be looking at new ways of representing our objects with the piece of cardboard as a brush, and I think I ended up with quite a nice balance of light and dark in the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the second and third day of 3D, we moved into some, well, 3D work.
It was very similar to the fashion design project we did where we had to focus on shapes. 

I like organic shapes and curves. So I made this little guy. 

After we'd done the practice pieces, we got into groups to make something larger. Emphasis on 'something', it didn't have to have a function as of yet, it just had to be nicely designed.

Unfortunately, my group didn't like organic shapes and curves - they liked things being symmetrical and neat.
Our group thought it'd be a good idea to make origami petals:

Then them into flowers:
 We spent a loooong time toying with a 'lamp' design:
 I didn't think it was very striking, but it was quite interesting because we had to weight it in a funny way to make it stand up even when it looked like it would never stand.
I would not buy this lamp.

 The group eventually created something organic. A much larger, simpler version of the flower petals were made and stapled together along with long, thin strips flowing down from it, all made out of flexible plastic. 
The smaller flower on top of this black death vine creation it made out of quite a stiff cardboard and was almost as hard to make as the plastic one, but it does look a lot better than the flimsy paper ones we made. 
The teachers were oddly impressed by this. 
Either way, I had fun in the 3D week, even if I'm not very good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment