Friday 9 November 2012

Light Weight

Studio work from the third and final day of photography.
I made a video of the photo's we took but it doesn't really do them justice.

So, I'm uploading them separately.
The third day of photography was very fun and creative and the group worked together really well to create some great images in the studio.

We took this picture with a very long exposure and in darkness. Every so often, we had a huge split second flash illuminate the scene before going back into darkness. Between each flash everybody moved so that a different image was illuminated each time. This meant we had lots of different pictures all being recorded in the space of one photo.

This is a second attempt where we stayed in the same positions for a few flashes to make some figures more solid, then just do a single pose for one of the flashes for a more ghostly effect:

The next three images are light drawings using torches. The group split into two teams where one team was put into a pose and the other team had to draw around them from behind with torches. In the long exposure time of the camera and in the blackness of the room, the light trails were the only things captured in the pictures
That one looks really cheesy 

The next one worked out really well:
The idea is pretty standard (the evolution of man), but instead of drawing with the torches, we scribbled. In this photo I was posing second from the left. I had realised by this time that to get a good image, I had to create as much shape as I could with my arms and legs in order to make a clear silhouette.

This next one created an interesting effect
This next one is a mega fail.
I was drawing my partner with my torch but they were standing on the other side of the room. I had to use the air as a sort of canvas. I hope my partner wasn't insulted when she saw the drawing.

This is the same thing again, except there were six of us drawing. I prefer this one to he last as the drawings make a set as opposed to just a single squiggly fail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The final thing we did in photography lent towards fine art. We were told to create a composition of the figure (in pairs) but had to cover the face and as much as the body as possible.

This is how my partner, Jane, dressed me:
When Jane was told she had to cover up my body and face she thought of bereavement and mourning. So she sat me in a chair, and draped the black across my face. To avoid an all black cliche, she drowned the rest of the composition in this scarlet material. The pebbles were difficult to hold. 
I've tweaked the image in Photoshop to enhance the shadows in the fabric.

And here is how I dressed Jane:
We were told to cover most of the body which instantly made me think of being oppressed and restricted, so I wrapped Jane entirely in this black splattered sheet and black shroud over her head and shoulders. I made her hold the jug which is is angled to look like its 'pouring' out the fabric that is covering her. The thing through her neck looks like a massive bolt.
(No Jane's were harmed in the hanging of the big bolt-like thing)

Close-up:
 This was my favourite part of photography as it involved communicating an idea as opposed to just playing with the camera. I think my composition was successful because it is simple black and white, with only two areas of detail: the jug and the bolt.

OVERALL 
I didn't think I'd enjoy photography as much as I did and I really did learn a lot about taking pictures, composition, colour and the techi-stuff in the dark rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment